Friday, January 8, 2016

Sad day for candle lovers like myself....

I've been putting off writing this post. Seriously. It might seem trivial to some, but to me, an avid candle lover, it's dreadful. I found out the truth about candles and it's not good.

Let me begin the post with something I recently read here:
Though they seem safe, regular scented candles are a huge source of indoor air pollution and they put off chemicals that are considered just as dangerous as second-hand smoke. Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and has to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made in to wax.
This here is another excellent article to read re. scented candles.

This is such rotten news to me, but to my husband probably happy news as candles are not cheap, and I burned through them. Literally.

There a bunches of issues with candles, including them finding certain heavy metals (which are illegal to use) in many of them, according to studies. Many unscented candles use parrafin which when burned is just as bad as breathing in second hand smoke, scented ones contain a combination of chemicals, many of which have shown in labs to disrupt hormones, and I was burning these around my children. This is depressing, I know. The same goes for those cute little plug-ins/sprays that we use. They contain SO MANY harmful toxins.  (See THIS article....)

I do however have a couple solutions for this bad news.
Image source

1. 100% beeswax candles. I actually grew up with these in our home. They have a lovely glow to them and smell naturally divine. Seriously. Not only are the lovely to burn and a safe alternative, but they have actual benefits. Doesn't get much better, right? They are hypoallergenic which is AWESOME and are "the only candle that emits negative ions to purify, cleanse, improve air quality, and invigorate the body. A natural ionizer!" (Source) Some people argue that they are expensive, but they are on par price wise with Bath and Body works, or target and Yankee Candle. One warning about beeswax candles, make SURE they are 100% pure. You will find that there are ones that state: "Pure" which in the US means it just has to be made up of 51%+ (can contain as little as 5% and a whole bunch of paraffin), thus leaving a bunch of other stuff to "make up" the rest, which could be the stuff we were avoiding in the first place. So 100% pure are the words you're looking for. I have researched a few spots for you, but if I were you I would ask on social media for a local spot. There are often beekeepers who will sell the pellets so you can even make your own. Sounds daunting, but appears to be not so bad. I will leave a link below with a site that takes you through it. I'd say it was worth the hard work, it also might be a fun activity for older children.

Some beeswax resources for you:
 2. To fix the plug in issues, simply replace the yuk stuff inside with safe alternatives (yes....my beloved OILLLLLS are coming out again!!)


I took step-by-step instructions, but to be honest, it's so straight forward you don't really need them.

1. Empty the cartridge by pulling out the wicks. 
(Use gloves if you have them. This smelly stuff is STRONG) 
2. Use a good soap to shake and rinse out the old product. It took
a few rinses to get all the residue out.
3. Rinse the wick type pieces off. This again took a while. I soaked mine for a 
while in the bottom of the sink in the Dr Bronner solution with warm water.
4. Choose an oil that is beneficial to you and your family. Joy seemed
perfect for us at the moment. Winter can be a bit rough cooped up in the house.
(For info on our oils of choice click the link in the sidebar or contact me!)
5. Add around 20-30 drops (seems a bit much but this lasts a long 
while and is beneficial to you and your family!)
6. Top up with distilled/filtered water. 
(Our faucet is hooked up to a drinkingwater filter from our well.)
7. Shake, then pop the wicks back in, then hook up to the original case.
DONE!



Hope this inspires you to change up some of these things in your home. I know it all seems a little dramatic, but we deserve to know this stuff. We should know what we are putting in the air around ourselves and our children. Things that mess with hormones and moods and even have carcinogens present, it's horrifying. Do some research, and get to know the products you choose to have in your home. If you choose to keep them, then at least you know what the risks are. I still choose to burn a scented candle if i'm in the bath, but I won't put them around the children anymore. We will always choose beeswax from now on, and as far as plug-ins and spray deoderizers? NEVER again.

Hope you are all surviving winter, and if you live somewhere that is warm in the winter....i'm very jealous. I miss the palm trees from Florida and the white sand....le sigh.

~ Stay well, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.